summer travel tips
Summer time brings longer days, warmer weather, and an inner desire to “get
away”! Many popular destinations are just a short car or plane ride away, and
some of the most popular vacation spots for Seniors and their families are:
• Niagara Falls
• Branson, Missouri
• Conner Prairie, Indiana
• Las Vegas, Nevada
• Green Valley, Arizona
• Lake Tahoe, California
As you prepare to enjoy a favorite vacation spot or explore a new destination,
the following tips with assist you.
Tips for stress free planning:
1. Designate a family member to help with car, plane, train, and hotel reservations.
2. When traveling by plane, book a non-stop flight if possible.
3. Ask for senior discounts.
4. Select the right disability options (if needed) when reserving your flight.
5. Travel during the right time of the day – Mid morning and early afternoon
departures work best.
6. Travel with family or close friends.
7. Consider a cruise – once you are on the ship, all of the attractions come to you!
Tips for the day of travel:
1. Carry any medications with you in a small piece of luggage or large handbag.
This reduces the chances of anything getting lost. Also carry a list of medications
and dosages – just in case a physician’s visit is necessary during your vacation.
2. When traveling by plane, airports offer wheelchair services that will take you
directly to your gate. You can ask for this service when you book your
reservation or when you check in at the airport.
3. When traveling by car, plan frequent breaks or stops to stretch your legs and body.
4. Drink plenty of water to remain hydrated.
5. Plan first and second day activities sparingly. Allow yourself plenty of time to relax
and refresh once you have reached your final destination.
Whether you vacation with family, friends, social group, or alone – Don’t forget to
capture each moment with pictures! And remember, making the memories is the
most important part of the trip!